gas cap (Dave Daniels)

schnowz schnowz at localnet.com
Thu Apr 5 15:43:34 PDT 2007

   IIRC the cap is a vacum relief in other words it lets air in as your gas
level goes down. It's supposed to act as a check valve and stop gas getting
out. It could be somebdy has already taken the guts out. Some listmembers
have taken them out after experienceing blockages, causing a vacum in the
tank which eventually stops gas flowing to the carbs.
   As you said the outside of the the filler hole is an overflow but only
when you're filling - not for the gas in the tank  when the cap is closed.
(which I think is taken care of with evaporative system IIRC) It's other
purpose is to drain any rain that gets under the cap around the outside of
the seal.
    I had gas overflow into the tube once, because I took the check valve
out.
    If it came out of the key, then I would say both the tube was blocked
(even though it's clear now) and the check valve is missing or crapping out.

  Pete S