Chain Lubers

Steve Northrop blackgpz at rochester.rr.com
Sun Apr 8 09:30:04 PDT 2007

I use PJ1 Blue Label. I think most spray on chain lubes are more akin to
chain protectants than actual lubes. Once the carrier evaporates you're just
left with this "coating" on the chain. There are some pros here because the
semi-dry coating attracts less road dirt. My worry with a wet oiling system
is the road dirt mixing with the oil and turning it into a nice, pasty,
valve grinding compound, chewing my chain and sprockets to bits. Maybe the
constant introduction of oil keeps this from happening by always flushing it
to the outside of the chain with centrifugal force. I'd like to try one and
the one on Bob's bike is the best example I've seen so far. However, $200 is
a little pricey for an experiment so I'll have to think about this some
more.

Steve in Western NY
'96 GPZ1100
'02 Daytona 955i