Pinging

Bob Sims bob.sims at us.army.mil
Fri Apr 20 12:33:40 PDT 2007

> Today I noticed a bit of pinging ...

Jeff,

Certainly not doubting your ears or experience, but are you sure what you
heard was really pinging (pre-detonation)?

I've never experienced it in the GPZ, but on other vehicles, it is normally
a *very* bad, catastrophic sound, accompanied with a loss of power.  As
Julian indicated, I think you could only make the GPZ ping by changing the
advance, bad gas, or letting the engine get *way* hotter than it does under
a normal range of operations, or some combination of those factors.  I don't
think I recall anyone on the list ever complaining of pinging in an engine
with stock geometry and ignition.

Of course, I could be wrong...

Bob
www.twowheelsburning.com