Pinging

Dave Daniels dwaynedaniels at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 20 13:07:32 PDT 2007

Does everybody else use premium gas? I always use regular with no pinging.

Julian Solomensky <jsolo at solo-tek.com> wrote:  Hello Jeffrey,

Pinging or detonation can occur if there are carbon deposits on the cylinder tops and ignition occurs due to hot spots instead of the spark plug (in very layman's terms).

I don't think a carb sync will help pinging.

Could it be you just got a bad tank of gas?

The only time I noticed pinging on mine was after installation of the ignition advancer and accidentally putting in 87 octane gas instead of premium.

I would try a different gas station next time.

I wonder if too lean a mixture might cause this too? Those better in the know will likely chime in soon :)