carb problem?

Steve Northrop blackgpz at rochester.rr.com
Wed Aug 1 15:57:53 PDT 2007

Which bike has the problem Jerry? Is it the new bike or the old bike? You
know your old bike is mechanically sound so if you put the carbs on and it
doesn't run, you know it's the carbs. If it's the new bike, you really don't
have any idea what shape the engine is in mechanically. Jet/needle and pilot
wise, the carbs can be off quite a ways and the engine will run better than
you describe. I would suggest an inspection of the valve train including a
valve adjustment, checking cam chain tension and cam timing followed by a
compression check before chasing the carbs around anymore. As for the
missing and backfire, my experience with this bike is that once you foul a
plug, it's done. You can't clean it, you must replace it.

Steve in Western NY
'96 GPZ1100
'02 Daytona 955i
"You Can't Fix Stupid", Ron White