honda XR250 now TTR Idle problems

scapco at ecentral.com scapco at ecentral.com
Fri Aug 10 13:45:13 PDT 2007

As a follow up to a question I posted to the list a while
back regarding a plugged carb on my daughters 2006 TTR125 I
finally found a temporary solution.

After conferring with Colorado's own Mad Mike, Mike
Barnhill, I finally got around to dismantling my daughters
TTR-125 again.  I dissembled the carb (and a few other
things) and found the pilot jet to be plugged solid even
though it had only been a month or so since installing a
brand new one.  I was surprised to find a slimy, semi-hard
film inside the carb, almost like slime in a fish tank, so
I thoroughly cleaned everything with carb cleaner and
installed a fuel filter.  Now it runs and idle's fine
again, but I'm left wondering exactly what they are putting
in the gas that causes this so quickly.  My friend Bruce
has exactly the same problem with his sons TTR-125 so it's
not just mine.

I talked to both Bill Vickery and his service dept about
this and was told the crap they are selling makes bikes
(especially small ones) very prone to this and they
recommended running race gas or using Sta-Bil to slow it
down.  In fact all of their bikes on the showroom floor
have race gas in the tank rather than pump gas.

I guess I'll start either running Sta-Bil or race gas (and
Techron fuel cleaner) in it and carry a screwdriver and
spare jets around in the future until I come up with a
better solution.  Thanks to Mike for some good suggestions!

Charles S.