Help!. Steering head bearings

Marilyn Mason masonjs at nrtco.net
Mon Aug 20 06:36:42 PDT 2007

Paul:
When I did mine a few years back, I drifted one bearing out of the steering
head using a piece of 1/2" brass rod for a punch.  I took the triple tree to
a local garage.  They just put it in a vice and beat it off with a punch and
hammer--pretty crude but effective.  They didn't charge me for this so I
went and brought a round of coffee for the 5 guys in the shop. I cleaned up
the triple tree, sanded it down with scotch bright then lubed it a bit to
slide on the new bearing.  To replace the bearing in the steering head place
a flat block of wood and tap it in with a hammer or if you have a socket
large enough to fit on the outer race you can place it on the bearing outer
race only and tap it in with a hammer.  Be sure to pack the bearings well
with a good grade of grease.  I used Mercury Quick Silver marine grease just
because I had some.