not good, bad, real bad

Dave Daniels dwaynedaniels at
Mon Aug 20 12:13:04 PDT 2007

I guess I should have read all the emails before resonding. Oh well, glad you found it.

Robert Nelson <majordad at> wrote:  Ok, forget my last email because I am apparently even dumber than I thought.
After the response from 1KPerDay I decided to look through the shop manual
to see what is involved with getting to the bottom of the cam chain.
Imagine my dumbfounded expression as the light bulb goes on when I see that
the bottom of the cam chain is at the crankshaft where I have been adjusting
the camshaft to TDC. So, full of positive expectations I go out to the
garage and look in there and the shim is setting right out in the open.
Problem averted and information learned.

Much relieved!

-----Original Message-----
From: 1KPerDay [mailto:1kperday at]
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2007 11:18 AM
Cc: gpzlist at
Subject: Re: not good, bad, real bad

I've heard of some who removed the timing cover at the left of the
engine and were lucky enough to find the dropped shim in there...
dunno if it's possible on the GPz or not. Couldn't hurt to take it off
and check...

As for this: "I believe there is very little chance of the shim being
a problem."

I'm afraid I don't share your belief. ;)

If you do decide to run the bike, I'd personally run it for a short
time and then remove the oil pan (the whole oil pan) and hope you find
the shim somewhere in there. Again, you could get lucky.

On 8/20/07, Robert Nelson wrote:
> I don't believe that there is any other way to open up that area other
> pulling the head which seems awfully drastic. I have turned the
> and never heard any more sounds so I believe there is very little chance
> the shim being a problem. But I figured it would not hurt to ask if
> else has had this problem and had any issues. Any thoughts, besides
> me an idiot, are appreciated. Thanks!
Utah Jeff
'96 SheePz1100