shims... what a friggin' pain!

1KPerDay 1kperday at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 13:51:24 PDT 2007

The GPz is relatively easy and you don't really need a manual (though
you should get one). The shims rest in little cups on top of the valve
springs, and there are rocker arms that rest between the cam lobes and
the shims. You slide the rocker arms out of the way (spring loaded)
and you can get the shims out.

You DON'T have to drain the radiator as spec'ed in the manual, and you
don't even have to remove the timing cover. Pull the tank, pull the
spark plug caps, pull the breather hoses off the little tube thingies
on top of the valve cover, and pull the radiator hose and all the
wires and cables and crap up between the frame rails and tie them
there. Push the lip of the front heat shield down below the level of
the valve cover and remove the chrome bolts that secure it, then pop
it (leave the gasket stuck to the cylinder head if possible).

You can maneuver the valve cover out the right side if you wiggle and
swear at it a bit.

Bump the starter to get the lobes pointing up, check, swap, etc.

Getting the shims in and out is the hardest part, IMO.

On 8/24/07, JOHN SOLIDAY <johnsoliday at msn.com> wrote:

> I haven't opened my up yet, shouldn't be so lazy and look at the service
> manual somewhere here in the new house.  Is it like a ZX10 (88), I did those
> w/o any problem (not shim under bucket).--
Utah Jeff
'96 SheePz1100