what a pain!

Dave Daniels dwaynedaniels at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 10 05:17:25 PST 2007

Thanks Bob. I most likely will do that. Maybe not in the exact manner as you described though ;-) Thanks for the bit of levity.

bob.sims at us.army.mil wrote:  > Well, I've gotten my new clutch in, and it is operating properly
> now it seems. But, my problems are far from over.

Dave, as someone w/80K+ hard miles on my own well-worn and abused GPZ, I'll second what all others have said. These engines and clutch assemblies are very forgiving and tough, but not indestructable. The bearing material is probably a very bad sign indeed.

I can't help but recommend that you take the bike to a trusted shop for a second opinion by a professionally trained mechanic. A relatively small amount of expense for pro diagnosis could save you considerably further expense, time, and heartache, especially when considering major work like engine rebuild/replacement.

As embarrassing and humiliating as it may be, you may want to take the bike by truck, hook, or crook to a trusted shop or dealer. Pensively approach the service desk, where the manager will warmly greet you by saying something like, "this is our factory trained and certified mechanic who takes away the sins of the do-it-yourselfer. Happy are those who are called to his garage." You should then respond with something like, "Factory trained mechanic, I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word and my beloved GPZ shall be healed." :-)

If nothing else, the mechanic can run a compression test (or more) to let you know if the top end is still good, as well as to give you a second opinion/diagnosis of the bottom end.

HTH. Sorry to hear the potentially bad news. Let us know how it works out.

Bob