Checking Oil

Dave Daniels dwaynedaniels at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 11 19:56:44 PDT 2007

If it has been sitting for a week and the level is at the bottom of the site glass, then you need to put more in until the level is almost at the top. For some reason, the oil takes a rediculously long time to drain down in these engines.

Jeffrey Markham <automan25 at yahoo.com> wrote:  GPZ Group,

I'm a little curious as to why my oil level keeps dropping the longer the bike sits without being ridden. My theory is that the longer it sits the more the oil filter fills up with oil. Since the filter is at the bottom of the engine then it drains out of the crankcase and into the filter...lowering the level.

If this is true, when should I check my oil to get an accurate reading? After a ride the level appears full. After sitting for a week it's at the bottom of the sight glass. Should I fill it up when the engine has been sitting and is stone cold or when it is warm?

thanks,

Jeff