does this make me a Bad Person?

bob.sims at us.army.mil bob.sims at us.army.mil
Fri May 11 00:23:57 PDT 2007

> Actually, I was completely fooled by Bob's posting.  When I read
> his
> message, I was sure he bought one of these:
> http://tinyurl.com/ys444j

Paul,

Yea, I almost thought the same thing!

I gave a lot of hard thought to BMWs over the last few years -- in particular, the new R1200GS, which was my other consideration for purchase.  The R-GS has been the best selling new bike here in Germany for many years straight for good reasons, and it seems that all of them are on the road every day.

Ultimately, however, I've been turned off by the complexity, maintenance requirements, poor service support, high cost of purchase, and the even higher cost of ownership.  There are also a lot of largely anecdotal stories of reliability and service problems that, while probably exceedingly rare, seem unfitting for a brand of such breathtaking cost.  A $14K+ motorcycle should have a near-perfect reputation, IMHO.

I've always been impressed by the fantical owner loyalty that BMW has cultivated over the years.  A BMW motorcycle could be broken down for the 20th time, on fire, and being towed by a '79 Yamaha, and the owner will still swear that it is by far the best machine ever built!

Bob