Pinging

Julian Solomensky jsolo at solo-tek.com
Wed May 23 12:41:17 PDT 2007

I agree with the consensus that you are likely lugging the engine.

You really don't want to crack the throttle open hard until at least 3500rpm or higher.

I have the FACTORY brand ignition advancer in mine.  The only time I had it ping was with 87 octane gas.  Brain shut down for a sec and I thought I was filling up the car  (don't ask) :).

As a matter of fact, I don't think I've ever ran 87 or 89 in the bike since day one.  Always premium.

I'd try higher octane gas, or gas from a different station.

If it still pings with the better fuel, you might have carbon build up on the top of the cylinders and getting detonation..?