Pinging and octane ratings

Rob Schwartz coldinvt at gmavt.net
Thu May 24 05:56:04 PDT 2007

+1000...  The VFR's never seen anything but the manual-recommended 87 and it
always runs perfectly.  The Civic Si requires 91 and will never consume a
lower grade as long as I own it.  Kind of a bummer, but it sure is fun to
drive!  It's too bad that all you can buy @ most places is 93 or 89 (or 87
of course).

A little more OT and GPZ related - I consistently fed mine 89 only trying 87
once.  I noticed that the "lug ping" was hard to avoid so I switched back to
89.  Avoiding hard (over half) throttle below 3k rpm was enough to stop the
bad noises...

VTEC and loving it,
Rob