NGPZC: Installed a superbrace on the ZZR12

1KPerDay 1kperday at gmail.com
Tue May 29 09:48:00 PDT 2007

Wow... what a difference. Did about 400 miles of mixed freeway,
backroad sweepers, bumpy mountain curves, etc....

The bike feels 100% better. (combined with the Wilbers shock... I
bumped preload 3 clicks and rebound 3 clicks from the recommended
settings. Nice, firm, controlled, compliant ride now).

The superbrace install is very easy. You cut off the stock plastic
fork guards. You can dremel them if you like; I used some wire
cutters. You can sort of pry them down or up out of their grooves and
that allows the jaws of the cutters in.

Then you loosen the axle pinch bolts (one of mine was torqued to 23432
ft-lbs but I eventually got it loose with a lot of swearing). Then you
simply bolt on the brace (curved/lettered part to the front). At first
it feels like it won't fit, but as you tighten the 4 bolts (5mm hex, I
think) it snugs itself around the fork sliders. Luckily my brake lines
didn't interfere. Torque the bolts to 10 ft/lbs (I just did them snug
as I can't find my torque wrenches since the move).

Then re-tighten the axle pinch bolts.

Bounce everything and check that nothing interferes.

The front end feels at least 100% better. I can still induce a wobble
by shoving one of the bars at speed but it only cycles once and then
stops. In bumpy corners the bike feels waaaay more planted and less
flexy.

Funnily enough it also feels less resistant to buffeting/wind gusts.
It was quite blustery and the bike felt much more solid, even with my
Givis mounted.

Now I just need to take it all apart and replace the oil/seals.

And do the valve clearance check.

And re-jet the carbs.

And sync them.

*sigh*