Crush Washer

William K Denton wkdenton at verizon.net
Fri Nov 2 20:03:13 PDT 2007

Dave,

After the first use, leaking is not the issue.  Compression of the metal is
the issue.  The stock crush washers on the GPz are aluminum and cannot be
annealed for reuse like copper crush washers.  They should be discarded
after being compressed once or twice and replaced with either fiber or
copper crush washers.

I have reused copper crush washers up to five or six times after annealing
and quench cooling.  I've even done this in a pinch with brake line washers
with success.  To reuse the aluminum ones is to court disaster, aka an
overtorqued bolt and a cracked oil pan.  I've seen it happen, right in Barry
Bearden's driveway in July of 2002.

Bill in Yardley, PA
wkdenton at verizon.net
'96 GPz1100