Top triple-clamps on the cheap?

Paul Heim SuprHtr at columbus.rr.com
Mon Oct 1 19:47:29 PDT 2007

We have customers who ask,"Can we use stronger bolts?  Some of ours are
breaking!"  I ask them:

a.    To what value are you torquing them?"
b.    How many times have you used them?

We recommend they be replaced with new each time a unit is disassembled, and
that they be torqued to spec.  No one does this.

Bolts that are subject to cyclic loading are going to fail by fatigue if
overtightened.  If undertightened, usually something leaks or falls apart.
Torque to spec and you'll stand the best chance of avoiding both.

Paul in Ohio