Fairing repair

Don Wilcox leanintree at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 12:33:07 PDT 2007

With all the plastic welding talk recently, I just wanted to throw my $.02
in...

After I went down a couple years ago, I figured I was in deep for a new
fairing since one of the windshield mount 'ears' snapped off. I ended up
taking a $17 shot on a product called Plastex.

http://plastex.home.att.net/

I'm firmly a believer now... Took me a while to get up the gumption to start
dremmeling away to create more available surface area to bond, but I'm 2
years and 10,000 miles into the repair and It's still in great shape. Also
repaired some cracks and such at the same time that are holding up great.

Product is basically fine ground ABS to fill and a solvent to bond the fill
and existing piece. Can also be used to build new parts from scratch (tabs,
screw settings etc). For 17bucks I couldn't beat it and haven't been
anything but happy.

(pics her of the repair requirements and visible results).I didn't have the
money to paint, so I covered the repaired break with vinyal to minimize the
visual impact.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v206/LEANINTREE/CRASH%20DAMAGE%2011-8-05/?action=view&current=2005_1108_CRASH_DAMAGE_0003.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v206/LEANINTREE/bike%20graphics/?action=view&current=2006_0416BikeVinyl0017crop.jpg

Don in GJ