Front end rattle

Simon White swhite at consultant.com
Mon Apr 7 17:54:42 PDT 2008

Hi all,

My venerable GPZ has developed a rattle in the front end.  It gives a definite "clunk" over even fairly small bumps - similar to sloppy head bearings.  I actually thought it may be the head stem bearings working loose (as they seem to do from time to time), but I checked yesterday and they appear OK.  A friend of mine who has a Concours suggested the engine mounts may be going.  I checked them also, and it does appear there is little to no clearance between the exhaust and the bottom of the engine.

My questions are as follows: how can I definitively check if the engine mounts have collapsed; are they easily replaced (i.e. not requiring engine removal); and how urgent is the replacement - am I damaging the bike riding it like this?  I don't recall any other list member striking this issue, but this may be due to having one of the higher milage/older models on the list.

Any info/advice appreciated - along with suggestions of alternative causes for the rattle.

Simon
'95 GPz1100 - It's big, it's blue, it's quick.
Melbourne, Australia
So many cats, so few recipes.

--
Want an e-mail address like mine?