Well, now I am in a pickle. fork disassembly tools

William K Denton wkdenton at verizon.net
Tue Apr 22 07:55:14 PDT 2008

Jeff,

Uh, NO, don't just snug it up.  You need to torque that bottom Allen bolt to
45 lb.ft, and to do that you'll need to hold the damper ass'y from the
inside with a tool, or a rear axle, or what ever you'd like.  You should
also replace or anneal the copper washer, and don't forget to apply locktite
(blue) to the Allen bolt.

Just "snugging it up" is a dangerous deviation from the OEM's reassembly
procedure and I can't believe that another lister already suggested that
this is OK.  It's your ass and neck on the line when you decide to work on
your own bike, so I suggest that you follow procedure for safety's sake.
I'd hate to think what would happen if that bolt worked it's way loose while
you were riding at speed or rounding a curve.

Bill in Yardley, PA
wkdenton at verizon.net