Re - Oh the embarrassment; I can't keep her going at the light

Steve Northrop blackgpz at rochester.rr.com
Mon Apr 28 19:18:09 PDT 2008

Let's look at this logically. Although it's in dire need of a valve
adjustment, probably a carb sync too, if it ran 6 months ago, neither one of
these is going to get worse with it just sitting. It's not going to spring a
vacuum leak either. That leaves the carbs getting gummed up. Yes, you should
pull the carbs and make sure the pilot circuit is cleaned out. This means
taking the bowls off, removing the pilot jet and cleaning it, then removing
the pilot screws (with the spring, washer and o-ring) and spraying some carb
cleaner in from the jet side then from the screw side. Also clean the idle
air orifices (little tiny holes) in the throttle bores. Reinstall the pilot
screws to 2 1/2 turns out from seated, button up the rest of the carb,
change your fuel filter and you should be good to go. Using fuel stabilizer
as Bill suggested and starting the bike every few weeks while it's in
storage goes a long way toward avoiding gummed up carbs. Good luck.

Steve in Western NY
'96 GPZ1100
'02 Daytona 955i
'08 KLR 650