4 isn't firing

schnowz schnowz at localnet.com
Tue Aug 5 17:29:37 PDT 2008

Dave
   That would also be the case (2 cylinders not firing) for the wire if it
was a bad connection eg green snot at the end of the wires where the copper
wire used to be, because the 1 and 4 are in series. The only way it would be
one cylinder, would be if it was a bad connection and also shorting to
ground somewhere (bad insulation etc). You can also ohm out the leads and
caps - the resistance is in the book IIRC.  Though this will only test
resistance of the wire/caps and won't necessarily tell you if you are
getting high voltage leakage on the insulation. Only way to do that is swap
the wires with a known good one and the cool header should move with the bad
wire.
  If it's doing it only at small throttle openings I would also suspect the
pilot circuit - carefully take out the pilot screw after putting a towel
over the engine. Make sure you get the o ring out too. Squirt some carb
cleaner in there and then follow with compressed air. You can get the screw
out by placing a short screwdriver bit in a socket and turn the socket with
your fingers (not a rachet - which is too big)  Before taking it out screw
it in carefully and count the turns to bottom out - when reinstalling - turn
it to the same position as before.
 By the way a infrared thermometer fired at the exhaust headers are great
for checkin which cylinders aren't firing.

Pete Staniforth