TLH Trip - Final Chapter

Steve Northrop blackgpz at rochester.rr.com
Thu Aug 21 20:22:00 PDT 2008

     We exited the ferry in North Sydney, Nova Scotia and headed for the
Cabot Trail. It goes inland for a bit then out to the coast. The inland
portion reminded me of riding in Colorado with the curves, overlooks and
elevation changes. Not really much to look at though. We stopped a couple
times and I was feeling pretty crappy. By the time we got near the coastal
section it began to rain again. Bill pulled into a small cafe/store. I just
couldn't stop again without it being someplace I could lay down, especially
in the pouring rain. I did a u-turn in the parking lot and took off. Mike
went with me. I was on a mission, topping 80 mph on curvy roads on a KLR650
with knobby tires. Mike had trouble keeping up on his Beemer. Didn't know if
the other three were coming or not but doubted it. We ended up making it to
Truro, about another 200 miles, found a Super 8 and went in. I felt awful
and fell into bed. Mike said I didn't move a muscle for 3 hours. He brought
me back some soup from dinner but I couldn't eat it. We tried to call Bruce
(Bill and Jim don't have cell phones) but his phone was turned off. We
didn't have any idea where anyone else was. We had pretty much decided after
the Cabot Trail, we had seen everything we wanted to and would beat feet
toward home. I slept a little better than I did on the ferry but I now know
what they mean by "never trust a fart".
     Friday dawned bright and clear. I decided to try a piece of toast and a
little juice and see if I could keep it down. Mike lead the way and we were
hoping to make Bangor, ME. Mike got ahead of me in traffic when the KLR went
on reserve. Not wanting to run out of gas again, I headed for the first
small town about 5 miles off the main drag. Filled the tank (and bought some
Imodium) and got back on the highway. Now I don't know where Mike is either.
Oh well, I lit out for Bangor on my own. I get just across the border and
stop to get gas (I'm tired of being fleeced by the Canadian gas prices). As
I'm waiting to pull back out onto the highway, Mike passes in front of me.
He pulls over and I pull up. He tells me he just talked to Bruce and he's
only 5 miles behind us. Kind of uncanny that after not knowing where anybody
is for 2 days and 600 miles, three of us are within 5 miles of each other.
Of course it starts to rain again but we have a short ride to Bangor. Mike
and I find a motel and call Bruce and tell him where we are. He meets us and
tells us that he and Jim were in Truro as well but at a Comfort Inn. Bill
had ridden on hoping to get home a day early and Jim had headed North toward
home. It was pouring when we were ready for dinner. The motel had a lounge
but they were only serving chicken wings. There's a Thai place next door,
yeah, let's try that. Surely I can find SOMETHING on the menu to eat. I'm
kind of hungry since I've only had a piece of toast and a Popsicle in two
days. BIG MISTAKE. They shouldn't have put the rollaway I was sleeping on so
far from the bathroom!
     The next morning, the three of us say our goodbyes. I'm heading to
Portsmouth, NH to see my youngest daughter, Bruce it going back to his
sister's in Connecticut and Mike (who does ironbutts just for shits and
giggles) is going to try and beat Bill back to Rochester (he didn't). My
ride home on Sunday after a nice visit with my daughter involved dodging
thunderstorms with hail all the way down the Thruway once back in the land
of taxes. All in all, I covered 3900 miles on the trip, not including the
ferry rides. The KLR performed flawlessly. I can't think of another bike I'd
rather have for a trip like that. I don't know how much I spent but I don't
care because I had a ball. Get out there and ride boys. There's nothing else
like it!

THE END!

Steve in Western NY
'96 GPZ1100