Arrggghh... Battery woes..

Paul Landry p_landry at telus.net
Sat Aug 23 22:15:18 PDT 2008

Hey all..

Went to start the GPz this afternoon to run some errands and nothing..
Arrgghh..
Dash lights, nothing hitting the starter button.
Nothing when trying the horn.
Pushed it back into the garage, plugged in the Battery Tender Jr. and it
went to a charge state.
Left it for a few hours and was showing green (complete charge)
Tried again, same thing but now I get a fast buzzing sound from the back of
the bike, sounds like from the right rear, under the side cover but nothing
happening with the starter motor or even the horns.

Checked the charge state of the battery, 12.38 volts, on the low side,
should be 12.6 or better.
This battery was installed April of 2002.  Noticed last week when I was out
that is seemed weak when starting the bike, but did not think much of it.

Obviously I need a new one.
Question is what one?..   The last one cost me $123 six years ago at a
battery specialty shop here in town.  If I remember it was the better deal
than the dealership quotes.

Does anyone have a list of brand / models that are appropriate or
suggestions of were to go and look as the shop manual only lists a MF
(maintenance free) 12V 12 Ah battery.

Thanks!..

Paul W. Landry
P_Landry at telus.net