New NYC law against loud exhaust

Simon White swhite at consultant.com
Mon Dec 15 18:08:40 PST 2008

The biggest issue I have with this kind of law (and there was talk of it being brought in here) is that it - intentionally or otherwise - removes older bikes, like the GPZ, from the road.  When I had to replace the exhaust on mine, I paid $300 off eBay for a full stainless/carbon wrap system, and was pretty happy with that.  I was looking at around $500 second hand (with unknown life left), or $2500 for a new OEM system.  I'm quite happy to ride a quiet bike, and while my replacement system is louder than the original, it's not too bad unless I open it up.  But unless the EPA is going to certify aftermarket systems (when pigs fly), it means that any bike needing a replacement exhaust due to either rust or accident damage, will be off the road.

Just my two cents worth.

Simon
'95 GPz1100
Melbourne, Australia
The shortest distance between two points
is for people who don't ride.

--
Be Yourself @ mail.com!
Choose From 200+ Email Addresses