Lowering Links

Steven Bixby steven at bixbys.net
Thu Feb 7 10:58:19 PST 2008

There's a linkage with several pivots that connect the shock to the
swingarm; the lowering links change the angles of the linkage enough
to effect a change in the swingarm's at-rest angle, without changing
the compression of the shock itself.

It's almost like shortening or lengthening the shock, but it is
applied to that pivot linkage near the bottom of the shock.

I'd look around for some diagrams to illustrate this, but I'm at work
and they've cracked down a bit on 'non-work' activity.

The forks can be raised (or maybe lowered, too) in the triple clamps;
the actual shock extension is unchanged; the whole wheel/fork assembly
slides up or down in the triple-tree clamps.