The Orange Beast is gone

Randolph Peters arpee44 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 7 00:00:58 PDT 2008

Hey guys
I sent this out in response to Mike and thought that I had sent it to the list.

Hi Mike and all
Well, The Big Easy has come a long way back from the post-Katrina wasteland. There are indeed large swaths of the city still almost in the same condition as the day after the floods but by and large the pulse of the city is mostly restored. Two great jazz fests and two emphathic Mardi Gras punctuated this process. The usual politics and Louisiana-brand corruption are the other highlights.
I had no problem with the insurance. In fact the bike was the most prompt, fair and heartening insurance experience in a sea of hassles, nickle and diming, downwright dishonesty and reneging at the hands of the "good hands" people who have the rest of my insurance portfolio.
Thanks to this list I got insurance with GMAC at really good rates and they paid off immediately.
I bought back the bike intending to restore it but it was stolen from my house although protected by a strong grill and robust padlock.
But that was in the bad old days when there were no street lights, hardly any police and my Eastern New Orleans neighborhood was a lawless frontier where I went to work on my house during the day and fled as soon as night began to fall. Bands of looters, miscreants from all over the country converged on N.O. like locusts to pick unoccupied (and occupied) houses clean and those who chose to live in their half-finished houses had to be armed to the teeth.
Anyway, to get back to motorcycling issues I promptly bought another zzr1200 in Atlanta before the ink was dry on the check and before Boss Lady could establish different priorities.
Riding that bike was a depression chaser in those days.
But it was the riskiest business. Those big Dodge rams, Ford 350s, etc. brand new and hauling rubble up and down the unpoliced I10 were drag-racing at 100-plus mph while the rickety rigs, held together with wire and string, and trying to out-hustle each other,  dropped anything in your path from sheets of sheet-rock, to bundles of insulation, ladders, buckets, chunks of carpet, etc.
Well, we're approaching normalcy, we like to think, but then again the assholes in our legislature are once more debating removing the compulsory helmet law from the books,
another hurricane season is upon us and the levees are largely in the same state as pre-Katrina.
Anyway it is glorious motorcycling weather so wadda eff?
Randy in N.O.