front end

schnowz schnowz at localnet.com
Sun May 18 18:33:51 PDT 2008

Steve
 You could be right, though I can't feel any bearing slop when tweaking the
wheel. It's possible I damaged the hub last time I changed them. It spins
freely when on the axle but I have never been able to turn the inner races
on the fronts by hand, as my fingers just slip on the races. Not sure if
this normal.
   I use precision shafting and minature ball bearings to balance them. I
used to use Drill rod but found that it wasn't perfectly straight which
prevents you from getting a good balance. I am pretty anal about balancing
and saw the weights into 1/8 chunks if I have too. But it has never been as
good as it was when I first got the bike with the factory balance.
(different wheel - this wheel came from a bike that was laid down) Back then
high speed was perfectly smooth and felt like 60.
  I don't have a dial test indicator to check runout, so I just hold a
screwdriver on the jackstand against both the rim and tire. It didn't seem
too bad but it's hard to be sure.
 The buzz from the front is numbing my right hand which has never happened
before - supposed to be leaving on a trip next week ..