Starting Problem

schnowz schnowz at localnet.com
Tue Nov 18 15:33:53 PST 2008

    I'll second everything Steve said.
   I recently had the hot hard starting problem and so I replaced the
battery (2.5 years old). In the past that cured it. but this time it made
cold starting easier, but I still had the hot start problem. I replaced the
plugs and cleaned all the connectors under the tank especially the igniter
coil pickup and so far it's been good. The old plugs looked to be in good
shape with 19,000 miles on them, but a couple of months back I had a problem
with oil getting on them from the figure 8 gasket leaking at the valve
cover. I cleaned them up good with a sandblaster and they looked good, but a
couple of months later I had the hot start problem. I noticed the porcelin
had brown marks on it next to the metal as though the corona from the spark
had burned it. I think oil penetrated between the porcelin and the metal and
created a arc path. Well at least that's my theory and I'm sticking to it.
    By the way, they were Nippon Denso's and I decided to go back to NGK's
which were $6 a piece and in stock at the local Avanced Auto store.

     Pete S

What the f... is up with the liste server?  It's burping again - I see
replies to E Mails' I never got, then they will come down a couple of weeks
later