Header Rust

Jeffrey Walker walkerjl at charter.net
Fri Oct 3 14:16:19 PDT 2008

Pete,

Exhaust header coatings have been done for performance engines for a LONG
time.  The cheaper solution used to be to wrap them.  The theory is that the
more heat you retain in the header, the greater the exhaust will expand, the
greater the velocity of the gas out the pipe, the more scavenging there will
be in the system and therefore a slight performance boost, and incidentally
will pull the hot exhaust gases away from the exhaust valves and seats
faster.  With a tuned header, it is actually a sound theory.

I don't know how brittle it is, that is a very good question.  I believe
that they offer a warrantee on the work, so the differential expansion rates
probably add fatigue to the bond between the metal and coating, but last
long enough to outlive the warrantee.  In fact the ceramic coating is a
metallic compound, so I don't expect the expansion rates to be all that
different.

Another thing that I may look at instead of a ceramic coat is to aluminize
the header.  Aluminized headers last a long time.  My Mercedes has this.
Aluminum oxide is VERY hard and corrosion resistant once the surface is
nicely passivated.

Anyway, I'm just contemplating this and thinking aloud. I really didn't want
to go the barbeque black paint route yet if I can help it.  And I don't
think it is the down tubes coming off the head that are rusting, but the
lower section where the collector is and it goes 4 into 2 into 1 into 2. In
fact I think that the down tubes are already coated with something, perhaps
a aluminum powder coating?

Thanks,
Jeff