GPS

Ped pedmail at dbmail.dk
Wed Oct 15 05:59:45 PDT 2008

I'm using 'the poor man's GPS' for the third season now - the
http://nav4all.com/ application for the cell phone combined with a
bluetooth GPS receiver. The application is free at least until 2010
(it's been extended a couple of times) so all it cost me was the price
of the GPS receiver, about 100 USD. The application can run on almost
any (newer) cell phone and can be downloaded and installed in a few
minutes. Several languages and voices are available. It doesn't show
moving maps like a real GPS but it is possible to verify the calculated
route on a map. During navigation it shows unambiguous arrows and
distances that clearly tell you what to expect and do next. It has a few
features like showing the speed limit and advice if you are going too
fast (on major roads) and you may also pick from a comprehensive list of
POI's. I don't think it is possible (at least I haven't found out yet)
to plan a specific route by inserting mandatory roads or points, but you
may choose between the fastest, shortest, no motorways, bicycling, by
foot or a couple of other options that I can't remember. Navigation is
based on Navtec, so whatever Navtec knows, Nav4all also knows. It works
so well that I have made a cell phone holder that can sit on the
dashboard. It does obscure the RPM gauge partly, but I can live with
that. The downside of it is that it requires network access in order to
calculate and recalculate. When you plan a route from A to B it will
access a server somewhere and download some data (a few kb's). If you
then stick to the route no further data will be downloaded, not even if
you cross borders or drive 1000 miles. But whenever you divert from the
route it will access the server for new data and do a recalculation. If
your network is good and your phone can switch between them as you
travel, then no problem. But if your phone switches to a network without
GPRS and it needs to recalculate, then you may suddenly find yourself
with a non-functioning GPS. I tried this in England a couple of years
ago - pretty annoying if you are in dense traffic and hardly know where
you are. On the other hand I travelled through Germany, France,
Luxembourg, Belgium and The Netherlands last year without loosing
network even once. It works so great that I am not tempted to spend the
money on a real GPS. Both my wife and I enjoy letting it show us the
shortest way to some place, and even though we think we know the
shortest route it has often shown us roads we didn't even know existed.
Right now I'm attending a course in Singapore, and last Saturday I
rented a bicycle and went as far as I bothered and then hit the 'find
the hotel' button, and voila! - shortest way home!

Ped
'96 "Black Stealth" GPZ
Denmark