Still love the black stealth bomber (long)-Indian summer run

The Masons masonjs at nrtco.net
Wed Oct 15 14:27:23 PDT 2008

Nice write up William.
We just had our Thanksgiving weekend in Canada.  The last long weekend of
the year that we can get out on our highways enmass and assasinate each
other.  I had my my family show up and we turned the cottage into a
barracks--14 and all had beds.
My sister Alison came from Penentanguishene with her 4 children in her van
and her husband Dave was smart enough to make the 400 km journey solo on his
Honda VFR. We made a 260 km loop on Saturday into the Madawaska
Valley--Calabogie, Griffith, Khartomn.  Sunday I had chores and winterizing
of stuff so Dave and Alison made a 150 km loop into Quebec & back.  Monday I
planned to ride 1/2 way to Penetanguishene and turn back but at the 1/2 way
point the day was 22C (72F), the leaves were spectacular so I continued
through Haliburton, Bracebridge, through the Muskoka Lakes and on the
Penetang, to a nice soak in Dave's hot tub and several of his cold beer.
Tuesday morning was cool 15C (60F).  I got my gear on the bike at 8:30 am
and a high presure system came through.  One minute it was clear and the
next the trees were bent sideways in the wind, the rain was coming in
horizontally, and the leaves were departing their branches in such numbers
it looked like a phychadelic snow storm.
I emailed my wife and told her I might not be home until Wednesday.  At
11:30 am as fast as the sky had clouded over it cleared.  The wind died down
a little.  I checked the weather forecast in all the burgs on both routes
and opted to return the way I had come.  Everything was going smoothly until
I turned north onto the 400 at Waubashenne (the southeastern end of Georgian
Bay.  The wind (nothing to stop in its 180 km crossing of Georgian Bay hit
me and the bike on the left side and shifted me into the other lane.  I
thought I was going over the bridge railing into Matchadash Bay.  I had to
get my head down below the windshield as the wind buffeting it my vision
blurry. About 8 km up the highway I got to Port Severen and back into the
bush where the wind abated some.  Another 20 Km and I turned east onto
Muskoka 38 and the wind faded altogether.  But the wind and dropping
temperature had both my hands and feet cold.  I had planned to take a little
detour down the Frank Miller Memorial Road between Bala and Port Carling but
I stopped at the entrance and saw it was still wet and was covered with
leaves. If you're ever in the Muskoka region I highly recommend this series
of roads. I arrived in Bracebridge got soup, sandwich & coffee.  I returned
to my bike and got some old skidoo gloves out of my bag (had nothing extra
for my feet but the temperature had climbed to 16C (62F) a far cry from the
25C (78F) it had been exactly 24 hour before when we stopped for fuel &
lunch.  I took 117 to Dorset, 35 to Dwight and 60 through Algonquin park.
All the reds from the Maples of 2 weeks earlier were gone, only  the
yellows, and oranges from the birch and poplar (aspen for you western guys)
and the brassy browns of the oak.  All of the lakes that had been "flat as
piss on a plate" and prefect mirrors 2 weeks before were thrown into a froth
of white caps with the wind.  2 days and 1055 km later I arrived home.
Hopefully I can get in another couple of 500 km days on the back roads
before I have to put the bike up for the winter in 3 weeks.