Canada Trip - Part 3 (Long)

scapco at ecentral.com scapco at ecentral.com
Mon Sep 8 10:03:46 PDT 2008

The BC ferries are a real trip to a land lubber like me.
Bikes cost $40 to get across, but you get on and off first
which was a plus.  I arrived 15 minutes before departure
and was second on the ferry behind a new Triumph Tiger.  I
headed upstairs to get something to eat and find a brochure
for a Nanaimo bed and breakfasts as the forecast was
calling for more rain.  1 and ½ hours later I’m in Nanaimo
and driving around to find a B&B.  By now it was around
7:30 local time I was starting to worry as everything was
full already.  Finally about 8:00 I reached a lady who was,
of course, less than 5 minutes away from the ferry and had
a room available for two nights.  I drove there and was
greeted by a nice lady from the island of Malta and who is
married to a German.  This was a nice house, not some shack
and it was obvious they had some money so I suspect they do
the B&B to meet people and for spending money.  I was shown
downstairs to an immaculate den and my own nicely furnished
bedroom.  She brought me down some hot tea and chocolate
chip cookies which were excellent.  After unpacking, I
showered and fell into bed and slept very well.

Next morning, I awoke to an excellent cooked to order
breakfast and some good advice about touring around the
island.  Since the forecast wasn’t great, I decided to rent
a car to drive north and west over to the west coast of the
island and Tofino.  The rental car place was only two
blocks away so they picked me up, put me into a Focus wagon
and I was off.  I went north quite a ways and explored the
coast and then headed west past Port Alberni, Kennedy Lake
and to the Pacific Rim national park.  It was very cool to
see, as we don’t have trees like that in Colorado.  I got
out and explored the beach before heading into Tofino where
it was raining pretty good (it had rained off and on all
the way there). I picked up a couple of T-shirts for my
kids and explored around until it was time to head back and
get the rental car back before 6:00.

Friday morning started out fairly dreary with rain in the
forecast, but I had to get going, so after another
excellent breakfast, I loaded the bike up and decided to
oil the chain before I left.  I bent down, put the oil
bottle on the chain and started to turn the rear wheel and
it wouldn’t turn.  Try harder and nothing.  Go around to
the back of the bike and push it with my boot and it still
wouldn’t turn.  I figured it had frozen the chain up after
all the rain and sitting a day, so I started it up on the
centerstand and put it in gear and oiled it that way which
freed it up.  I jumped on and headed south down the coast
to Victoria in cloudy skies to Steve Drane Harley to get
another t-shirt.  The blond behind the counter made the
trip to Victoria worth it; all I can say is WOW!!  I then
headed out to the ferry to take me to Tanawassen near
Vancouver.  This was another neat ride through the fog,
various islands and watching some really interesting
currents.

Made it to Tanawassen, first off the boat and headed south
towards the US.  I hit the border crossing and was greeted
by a 90 minute wait to get through, but at least it wasn’t
raining.  When it was my turn, I was greeted by an
individual who appeared to be Vietnamese or something
similar and the bastard couldn’t friggin speak English.  He
started giving me the 3rd degree about where I’d been and
why and seemed mad that I didn’t cross the border somewhere
else.  I was just about to explode when he finally handed
me back my passport and told me to go on.  You’d think they
could at least have someone who was born in the US and
could speak the goddamn language determining who gets
across.

I was pissed off the rest of the day, but I had bigger
things to worry about coming.  30 minutes later the skies
opened up as I headed for Bellingham and the turn off to
Highway 20 (thanks for the suggestion, Paul Landry) which
would take me back east to Montana.  Jeez, it rained and
rained and rained like the next great flood and I was
wondering if I needed to go find Noah and the ark.  I rode
onward through western Washington and through North
Cascades National park.  Here things got worse and the wind
started blowing, the rain and now fog continued and here I
am riding on squared off tires.  This was a white knuckle
ride until at one point I nearly lost the back end in a
corner and had to put my foot down to save myself.  I
pulled over and let the car behind me go by and continued
slowly until the rain and wind finally stopped and there
was a little sunlight.  By now I had ridden in heavy rain
for about 3 ½ hours and was soaked to the bone, even under
five layers of clothing.

I stopped in the tourist trap, I mean town, of Winthrop at
a convenience store needing something warm to drink and to
ask about a hotel.  As I got off the bike a gent pulled up
behind me in a car and commented that I had made it down
the mountain safely.  I looked at him and said “yeah???”
curiously, whereby he told me that he was in the car behind
me when I almost lost the back end.  He said he thought I
was lucky that I hadn’t gone down when I hit that oil up
there. I looked at him and said “Oil??” then remembered I
had seen an oil/gas sheen in the middle of the road for
much of the ride over Cascades Park and we figured that
someone had lost a drain plug and that was what I hit.
Spooky.  I got something to eat and drink and then got a
motel and took a long hot shower and dried everything out
for the next day’s ride.

Saturday morning made up for much of the previous days bad
weather as it was sunny and warm.  I loaded up everything
and continued east through Washington’s orchard valley’s
and ripening apples through lots of interesting small towns
and into Idaho and on into Montana.  It was getting late so
I decided to stop in Missoula and camp out for the night
and head the last two hours back to Helena in the morning.
I had a nice dinner at Cracker Barrel and was really tired
after 435 miles so I left the bike uncovered under clear
starry skies and fell asleep about 10:00.  I awoke an hour
later to rain hitting my tent and of course it rained all
damn night.  Next morning there was no let up at all, so I
got dressed in the tent, packed everything as best I could
and took the tent down in the rain.  I stuffed it soaking
wet into the sack, tied everything down and headed out in
the rain.  I rained for the next hour and a half until I
was almost in Helena.  Once there, I headed for Chuck’s
house and we unloaded the bike and went to get my Explorer
and trailer from his other place and loaded the bike up for
the trip home.  The tent was soaking wet, so Chuck kindly
dried it out in his dryer, we tossed it in the Explorer and
then went out for a late lunch before saying goodbye.

I headed south to Bozeman where it started to rain again
and then drove on to Sheridan Wyoming where I pulled into
the same park as on the way there and folded down the back
seat and slept.  Next morning I headed out in the rain once
again which didn’t stop until I was south of Casper
Wyoming.  At this point I was glad I wasn’t on the bike
anymore as I’d had enough rain for one season.  I made it
home about 2:30 Denver time and unloaded the bike and
thought about how much I didn’t want to go back to work the
next day.

I rode 2,452 total miles and drove another 1,650 in all,
taking over 300 pictures.  I’ll upload some pictures and
post a link later today.  The bike performed flawlessly and
never missed a beat even at nearly 50K on the clock.
Yesterday I treated it to some fresh tires, oil, a clean
chain and a badly needed wash and wax job and got it ready
for a ride this weekend with a nice gal I met Saturday.
She rides bikes and owns a Kawasaki Vulcan and is a very
interesting lady.  I hate to see summer end, that’s for
sure.

Special thanks to Chuck Driscoll for his assistance and a
place to sleep, and Art Johnson and Paul Landry for some
excellent suggestions for roads to ride.  I would do this
ride again and take the exact routes anytime.

Charles
S.