'09 bug collection started in earnest today

The Masons masonjs at nrtco.net
Mon Apr 27 13:54:15 PDT 2009

Well the weather guy didn't lie to me today, a promise of sun and high of
31C (88F).  It did get a little breezy--enough to shift me a couple of feet
sideways on more than one occasion.
I started off at 10C (50F) and removed clothing as the day wore on.  Most of
the roads were devoid of traffic.
I took all the back roads I could find, the winter sand was not a problem
but frost heaves and potholes were nasty.  THe 16 KM (10 miles) of
Rockingham road nearly jarred out my fillings , it reminded me of a stretch
along the TLH last summer.  I went south of Algonquin Park through
Haliburton to Carnarvon on Hwy 35 and took it north.  I stopped at a picnic
area on a lake at Dorset and enjoyed my lunch.  Continued north on 35 to
Dwight then east on Hwy 60 through Algonquin Park.  About 1/2 way through
the park I realized I hadn't fuelled up since I left home.  I noticed the
fuel gauge flashing that I was down to less than 5 liters (1.3 US gallons).
I had a short panic attack until I saw a milage marker 44km.  I only had 16
km left in the park and 5 more to get fuel.  I fuelled up in Whitney 16.2
liters for 345 km.
6.5 hours and 488 km (308 miles) I was home.
Was a good day.