vapor lock, and more

The Masons masonjs at nrtco.net
Sat Aug 15 17:47:08 PDT 2009

Bill:
Like Art--sometimes you get lucky.  This morning I put fresh gas in the '75
Honda and decided to ride it down to the rental cottage about 4 miles away
to cut the lawn.  It doesn't have a choke cable or lever (removed by some
previous owner) so I usually just suck some gas into a 5 cc syringe and
inject it straight into the carbuetor throat.  Its lights on the 2nd kick.
I head up the driveway and make it about 40 meters down the road before the
engine died.  I hadn't turned on the petcock.  I know the bike is not warm
and I'll just kill myself trying to kick start it without the syringe.  It
is much simpler to push it back the 40 yards and then bump start it on the
200 yard sloping driveway.  This bike has no plates. insurance or ownership.
While I'm pushing back an Ontario Provincial Police cruiser drives by very
slowly.  They really frown upon the locals riding around the roads with
similar bikes.  He rolled down his window and just said "you're not from
around here are you?"
I rolled it back down the driveway and took the truck over to the other
cottage.