Steering head bearings - question

John Soliday johnsoliday at
Fri Aug 21 18:23:48 PDT 2009

I probably need to tear mine down this winter.  I assume the rear swing arm
bearings are just as lacking in lubrication ?

-----Original Message-----
From: gpzlist-bounces at [mailto:gpzlist-bounces at] On
Behalf Of schnowz
Sent: Friday, August 21, 2009 6:45 PM
To: gpzlist at
Subject: Re: Steering head bearings - question

There a wrench in the GPZ toolkit under the seat for adjusting the steering
bearings. You're supposed to remove the 12mm hex cap nut and loosen the
bottom triple clamp. If theres enough room and there usually is you can
loosen the top triple tree instead of the bottom as it's easier to get at.
  I doubt if the knock you're hearing is the steering bearings - could be
the calipers as you suggested. If the steering bearings are loose you can
feel them on a bumpy road.
 As Bill mentioned the factory didn't grease the bearing too well and
generally the bottom one will rust if you don't get in there and add grease
at some point.
  Pete S