NGPZC: Jeep trail Engineer pass CO

scapco at ecentral.com scapco at ecentral.com
Tue Dec 1 09:45:00 PST 2009

I've done Engineer Pass in a rented jeep before.  The
southern route from Silverton to Lake City isn't bad at
all.  The northern route isn't bad either unless you miss
the turn back to Silverton (like we did) and come down on
the Ouray side which is more difficult.  We did it just
fine, but the poor fool we passed in a heavily loaded Ford
Explorer was f*cked.  The whole loop can be done easily in
a day.

If the 4x4 has the proper low gearing, I can't remember
anywhere along the trails you would get a truck stuck by
lengh or width restrictions.

The one trail you have to stay away from near there is
called Black Bear.  I waas warned by my friend Pete to stay
away from that one.  It's no big deal on a motorcycle but
is supposed to be fairly difficult in a jeep or other 4x4.

Charles S.