What a difference...

john leonard jlmdx at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 11 06:32:46 PST 2009

For years my GPZ just wouldn't run well in sub-freezing temps.  It would stall and need ~50% choke almost the entire ride time.

Over the years I purchased a Triumph Speed Triple and Harley Vrod thinking that fuel injection was the answer to cold weather riding.  I was wrong -- a valve job and carb sync has my GPZ running as well as the injected bikes.

I sold the Speed Triple and the VROD because I always found myself riding the GPZ due to its versatility, fairing, riding position, large gas tank, etc.  I was contemplating a Bandit with fairing because it's so much like the GPZ but fuel injected.

For a cost of $300 (for the GPZ tuneup)  I found that I don't need the Bandit or any other bike.   The GPZ is a solid bike.

24 degrees and running like a champ.

Now I just need to figure how to keep my fingers from feeezing up - the heated grips and various gloves I've tried don't quite do it.