96 ZX11 rear shock...

Steve Northrop blackgpz at rochester.rr.com
Tue Feb 24 05:18:04 PST 2009

I guess it depends, Don. One here has put a ZX11 shock on their GPZ because
it was new and cheap. I wouldn't put one on but it will bolt up. However, it
is shorter than stock, lowering the rear of the bike and making the GPZ turn
SLOWER than it already does. If the Ohlins has a ride height adjuster, maybe
it can be made the same length as the stocker. One of the pluses of the ZX9
shock is that it's a few mm longer than stock, raising the rear slightly and
helping the big beast turn. Nothing from the forks of a ZX11 will fit the
GPZ (41mm GPZ vs 43mm ZX11).
As for your buddy, the ZX11 carbs won't fit the ZRX (down draft carbs vs
side draft carbs on the ZRX). The tranny will (if it's a ZRX1100). I also
think he will be disappointed if he just installs the ZX11 cams without
raising the compression ratio of the engine. The ZX11/GPZ compression ratio
is 11:1, the ZRX only 10:1. He will be losing a lot of cylinder pressure
from the longer duration/higher lift ZX11 cams, trading his low end grunt
for a small, very high rpm power improvement.

Steve in Western NY
'96 GPZ1100
'08 KLR 650
"You Can't Fix Stupid", Ron White