British biking

Ian Westlake ianwestlake at btopenworld.com
Tue Jan 6 05:11:53 PST 2009

Hi Robert & all listers. Had my GPZ just over a year now but never got
round to joining the list til now. Not so cold here in south east
England but cold enough! I used to find icing a problem but this
winter I've been letting her warm for longer before setting out & had
no problems. I put this down to engine warmth getting across to the
inlet manifolds better without the flow of cold air once you get
moving and once warm they seem to stay ok. Had the heated grips & £150
gloves on my B*W but to be honest I still got cold fingertips. These
days I wear a pair of disposable vinyl gloves (the ones mechanics etc
wear these days to stop oil & skin contact) under my £40 HG "blader"
gloves which seem to help a bit (tried proper inner gloves but I found
they made things so tight my circulation suffered). My biggest winter
problem is seeing where I'm going. I have an HID conversion on the
headlight which is ace but trying to keep the visor on my helmet clear
is a real pain once the spray off the roads dries on it. The built in
wiper blade on the Heine Gericke gloves helps but if the visor dries
that's game over. I have a small spray bottle of water and a cloth in
the top of my tankbag but it normally means pulling over to use it.
Playing with the idea of mounting a car washer jet on the bike screen
but knowing my luck I'll spray it when the visors open & blind myself!

Sent from my iPhone