Ralph, now gps bashing?

The Masons masonjs at nrtco.net
Wed Jun 3 14:02:06 PDT 2009

I too have faith in maps.
September 2007 following the GPS leader at Richmont VT we turned east on
I-89 heading for Burlington.  I noticed that Montpellier was only 38 miles
away but we were making good time.  A 180 at Bolton correctted the
situation.
July 2008 Baie St. Paul QC village of maybe 1500 one road leading west and 2
leading east out of town.  We had to go 4 blocks into town to take the
scenic route east along the north shore of the St. Lawrence River.  THe GPS
took us the wrong way down a 1 way street and then down a dead end street.
We had eaten the night before at a Bistro (a fancy name for restaurant so
they can jack up the $ for the food) on the road we wanted.
3 Days later in Labrador City one way in and one way out.  There was
construction at the exit but we rode around town like the Keystone cops
trying to escape.  It reminded me of a play I saw years ago where an actor
is banned from Rome and has 24 hours to git out of town or be executed.  He
is caught and  25 hours later still in town --as "All roads lead to Rome".
I must admit I would have liked something in the way of a direction finder
in Maine 2008 when my only map was disintigrating in the rain.  I did find
I-95 that I took to Bangor and a visitor center where I got directions to
Hwy 2 and 4 free maps.