rear shock

Stephen Hampson shampson at
Sun Jun 14 02:06:08 PDT 2009

Koni are now Ikon.
I've fitted a zx12 shock similar weight bikes but I used some zx6 dog bones
to raise the rear little, not that it was needed, just personnel preference.

-----Original Message-----
From: gpzlist-bounces at [mailto:gpzlist-bounces at] On
Behalf Of scapco at
Sent: 14 June 2009 02:44
To: Paul Heim; gpzlist at
Subject: Re: rear shock

There used to be a gent in California who would rebuild the stock shock
using a Race Tech Gold Valve.  He added a schraeder valve on it but other
wise it adjusted the same.
I still have mine although I've swapped to a now unobtainable Koni.  I have
heard someone bought the Koni machinery, but I'd have to ask a friend in OZ
about that.
Paul is correct about the ZX9 shock.  One of the years has the heavier
spring that doesn't have to be swapped out.

Charles S.

> RaceTech lists the original shock as non-rebuildable.
I've never tried to determine for myself if this is 100% true.  A used ZX-9R
shock (I forget which year but it has the separate reservoir) is fully
rebuildable and is
> almost a direct bolt-in.  It requires a heavier spring,
which is no big deal to install when your doing the rebuild.
> Paul in Ohio
on my '96? I've looked everywhere.