2nd last ride of the year

The Masons masonjs at nrtco.net
Mon Nov 9 06:40:51 PST 2009

Saturday at 11:00 hr the temperature had reached a scorching 8C (45F), with
a weatherman promising 12C (54F).  I decided to take a short ride to warm up
the engine to change the oil.
I put on my cold weather gear including the electric vest.  Still haven't
installed the grip heaters.  I planned to run to Eganville over to Doulass,
Renfrw and home about 120 km.  Everything was going good at Eganville so I
changed plans and headed out the Augsburg road to Ruby, Brudenell, and
Combermere.  Combermere was my 2nd planned return point but I kept going to
Maynooth, then the Peterson Road to Harcourt, Wilberforce and on to
Bancrcoft.
Almost all the leaves have fallen there were just some traces of oak leaves
showing their brassy glow amid the barren grey hardwoods and dull green
conifers.  I had to be ever vigilant for deer as the season openned last
Monday and the hunters are chasing them across roads.
I headed out of Bancroft on 28 then took the Boulter road at McArthur Mills.
This brought me back to Combermere where I was hoping I could scrouge soup
and a sandwich from my brother in law (in payment for the truck load of
split firewood he scrouged from me).  He wasn't home so I headed along the
Madawaska River, through Palmer Rapids, Latchford bridge to Quadeville.
There's not much to Quadeville just a double "T" intersection.  I was on
512, stopped at the Letter Kenny Road (Quadeville's main drag which is about
100 meters long having a restaurant, a chip (French Fry) truck that's closed
for the season and a gas station/general store.  I turned right onto the
Letter Kenny road and then left onto 512 again.
When I got to the sign saying 50 kph ends I hit the throttle.  The engine
reved up bu the bike didn't accellerate.  I backed off on the throttle and
the bike picked up some speed, so I hit the throttle again and again a lot
of engine noise but no increased velocity--its like I had a Harley.  I gave
it gas once more and it was then I realized that the frost was coming out of
the pavement and I was riding on ice.  I was afaid to try to turn around so
I just continued at a sedate pace.  The hot tires were sticking to the
frozen road ok and any where the sun got at the road the forst was gone.  I
had about 20 km (13 miles) of this until I got to Cormac at the bottom of
Foy's Mountain.
1/2 an hour later I was home, had lunch then changed the oil and filer on
the bike filled the tank with gas and 60 ml (2 oz) of stabilizer.
Yesterday I rode the 32 km to Westmeath and parked the bike in the garage
for the winter.

Jim
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day --Harry S. Trueman