Need info on buying a bike for my 19 y.o. son preferrably 250

schnowz schnowz at att.net
Mon Jun 14 17:41:02 PDT 2010

Ron
  Go with the Ninja 250..
  I went thru the same decision last year. I looked at 600's and decided it was too easy for him to get in to trouble. I also looked at some of the older 400 and 550's but they didn't have decent lights or brakes like today's bikes.
  A MSF instructor friend reccomended the Ninja 250 and I was skeptical, but I found a 2005 that had been dropped for $600+ - the guy was moving and was selling everything. Since then my son has done two 5mph  drops and all it did was shatter a turn signal and addded a couple of scratches. One fork is lightly bent but it does not effect the handling at all - I can let go of the handlebars and maintain a straight line.
 Anyway long story short my son moved out and couldn;t take the bike, so I ride it more than the Geeper. In fact I have put on very few miles on the Geeper this year. The Ninja does not have the balls for passing like a bigger bike, so you have to adjust riding style to build the revs/speed before the pass. It can keep up with traffic on highways at 75 mph  But it so nimble it can do a U turn on a dime and and dirt roads are no problem, as it is so light and the seat height is low so you can flat foot it. It's the perfect commuter bike if you're not a big guy. Starts first push and you don't even have to wait 5 secs to take off. Much easier to ride in slow traffic and did I mention averaging 67mpg.
   Oh and supposedly easy yo resell.
    I had the same doubts as you about him getting injured but you have to let them live life - not observe it.

         Pete Staniforth