Might be looking to sell

Charles Scappaticci scapco at ecentral.com
Sun Mar 21 17:49:16 PDT 2010

Dave,

I say keep it.

I certainly understand where you're coming from.  It seems harder and
harder to get out for a long ride with work, kids and everything
stealing your time.  It seems I have less free time now than ever
before. And I've not given the GPZ or my dirt bikes the attention they
deserve the past couple of years. But...

It took a long trip through western Canada to remind me of how much I
enjoy riding and why I do it.  The solitude, the scenery and the
elements are such a wonderful change from the daily pressures sitting
behind two computer monitors in my little office at work, making
others wealthy while my life gets harder.

I'm a little older than you and my kids are older too, one gone and
the other in just a couple more years.  My youngest rarely rides with
me anymore with her school, sports and friends so it's just me
usually.  I turn 54 this summer and time is certainly weighing on my
mind.  My best years behind me now, how much more time do I have left
to ride and partake in life's adventures?  How many of you listers
have read about Edelweiss tours around the world trip this fall?  8
months, 40K miles for $102,000, plus you provide the bike and other
stuff, maybe $150K all together.  I'd give my left nut to do that ride
if I could (since my marriage ended I don't use it anyway).  I'll
never get to retire thanks to the actions of others, so I choose to
ride when I can as long as I can.

I'm planning on a 10 day ride around Colorado in late August, just me
and the GPZ, a tent, sleeping bag and no schedule.  I'm going to find
some nice lakes to camp next to, a good book or two and some good
corners and scenery.  2011?  Probably back to Canada, I just have to
decide east coast or west coast.  My biggest concern these days (other
than paying for my daughters college) is how I'm going to get a newer
bike, maybe a new Connie, BMW1200 GS, or something like that to eat up
the miles.  I'll still keep the GPZ though, with insurance down to
$183 a year (still full coverage!), and $50 annually to register it,
it costs me almost nothing to keep it for whatever comes along. And
with 50K on the clock and a salvage title, who'd want it anyway
regardless of the condition?

So, my apologies for the long winded rambling, but I say keep it for
now and give it some serious thought.  Are you ready to retire to the
Laz-boy recliner?  I'm not.

Charles S.