jim & the blustery day--ride report

art.robinson art.robinson at rogers.com
Sat Nov 20 09:13:42 PST 2010

Nice of Marilyn to suggest a ride... gives you someone to blame: The
bike tried hard enough to tell you it wasn't a good idea, but of course
20/20 hindsight every time.

I know the route well and right up to tangling with the tree, it must
have been a very enjoyable ride, in spite of the wind.

Good to have you back, Mr. Jim!!

Art in TO

-----Original Message-----
From: gpzlist-bounces at micapeak.com [mailto:gpzlist-bounces at micapeak.com]
On Behalf Of Marilyn Mason
Sent: 20 November 2010 10:37
To: Art Robinson
Subject: jim & the blustery day--ride report

I just had my first shower in 25 days and it felt great.  I had to
the air cast (like a ski boot) from my roght foot and put a calf
glove over the cast on my left hand to keep it dry.

October 27th dawned bright & fair at 10C (50F) with a promise of 15C
Marilyn suggested I take advantage of the weather and take a last ride 
before putting the bike into hibernation.
There were wind warnings for southwestern Ontario.
I packed a light lunch, water and a camera in the tail trunk.  Donned 
several layers of clothes and my electric vest.
I put the key in the ignition and hit the startwer button.  There was a 
grunt from the bike and a sound like "I don't want to go". I should have

listened to the bike. The battery was dead.  I jumped started it with a 
marine battery.  It stalled in the driveway.  I jumped it again and it 
stalled again.
I decided to give up on the ride and renmoved the battery.  I took it
the basement to charge it and as I was doing this I remembered I had
charged the battery for my Triumph..
I measured the Triumph battery and found it was the same lenght and
but about 1.5" shorter.  I cut a piece of 1.5" foam for the battery box
hooked up the triumph battery.  Mr. Northrop would probably agree this
not a wise thing to do.
I took the back roads to Bancroft where I had lunch and made a decision
run over to Haliburton then take 118 and 35  North to Dwight and come
home through Algonquin Park rather than south to Lakefield then to
and back home through Hastings county.
I noticed the wind getting up and riding through the odd dust devil of
twigs and leaves just before I got to Carnarvon at the intersection of
118 & 
I gassed up at Carnarvon (The 1/2 way point)and should have spent the
and one minute on a lottery ticket.  Going north on 35, gusts of wind 
actually stood the bike up straight while I was leaning into corners.
is a little startling having the bike stand upright heading for rock
bush and/or opposing traffic.
I stopped at Lake of Two Rivers in Algonquin park to have a drink of
and massage my butt.   I noticed there were waves over 1.5 meters (4
high rolling across the lake.

At Kilaloe I got off the main highway onto Ruby Road.  I was about 300 
meters from the stop sign at te end of Ruby road and was down to about
60 - 
70 kph (40mph) when I was tangled in the top of a tree.  A 65 foot high
oak growing along the fence line snapped off in the wind and landed on
Fortunately I was past the centre of the tree but was pulled from the
by the branches that caught me..  The bike and I slid about 100 meters
feet) along the pavement before coming to rest in the middle of the
lane.  Fortunately no one was coming.
I lay there for a few minutes surveying the situation and taking stock
what parts of me hurt.  I figured I had a few broken ribs, (was hoping
was just the wind nocked out of me) , took off my left glove and knew
were at least 2 metacarpal bones broken as the back of the hand was
instead of convex and it was rapidly turning blue,  there was also a
pain in my right foot that suggestted a broken ankle.
I got up looked around then walked about 1/4 mile to Dwyer's farm at the

other side of the stop sign to call the police.  After this I thanked
Mrs Dwyer and walked back to the bike where about 4 cars had stopped and

people were searching the ditches for the rider of the downed bike.
A guy with a trailer loaded my bike up and took it to his place at Haley

Station about 10 km from my house.  4 days later he delivered it to my 
The police arrived and checked the scene.  The people who had stopped
already chainsawed the tree up and tossed it in the ditch.  The police 
called an ambulance and I was transported to the hospital in Pembroke.
Unfortunately the shock was wearing off durring the ambulance ride and
pain from the 3 broken ribs and collaped lung was getting a little much.
Once in the hospital with an IV for morphine I was just fine.
The method for reinflating a colapsed lung is kind of neat.  Its done
vacuum.  They punch a hole in your rib cage, insert a tube.  They
the tube to a vacuum pump and create a vacuum in the chest cavity around
lung.  Then they make you breath deeply and Shazzam!! the lung inflates.
4 days later the tube was removed.  the doctor appologized before he
saying the tube removal would be painful.  The tube was held in place
sealed off with 1/2 an acre of tape.  I have a lot of body hair.  I did
feel the tube come out as they ripped off enough hair removing the tape
make a small dog.  Then they put on a 6"x6" presure bandage that had to
air tight.  I think the doctor was standing on this and it in turn was 
directly over the broken ribs.
I was panting a sweating profusly when this was completed and thankful
it was over.  My elation was short lived when I realized that pressure 
bandage was going to reove another dog's worth of hair when it was
And it did.
I got the bike running yesterday.
Any body know where I can get a right front signal lamp, right front
peg and a brake pedal for a 2003 Suzuki 1000 DL Vstrom?

On the lighter note I became a grandfather for the 3rd time on November
My son Jamie and his wife Lindsay had a boy Finn.  They were about to
to the hospital when Lindsay thoght she had to poop.  When she went to
Jamie noticed the head crowning so he threw some towels in the bath tub
had Lindsey lie in it. I thought this was a smart idea.  I've been to a
births and they are pretty messy. He called 911 and they talked he
the delivery.  After delivering Finn and placing him on Lindsay's belly
answered the door to let in the lady next door who was to look after
their 3 
year old son Will and the paramedics who clipped the umbilical cord and
took them to the hospital.

Th- th-th-that's all folks!!


This is from the GPZList mailing list. GPZList at micapeak.com
You subscribed to this mailing list. Therefore, you solicited all
mail that you receive from this list. Therefore, ANY mail that you
receive from this list is, by definition, NOT Spam, and if you report
it as such, you are violating the micapeak.com terms of service. 

To unsubscribe, you may send email to gpzlist-unsubscribe at micapeak.com
Unsubscribe or choose new options at
You are subscribed at the email address ART.ROBINSON at rogers.com

More information about the GPZList mailing list