Question regarding the Kawasaki graphics

Jeffrey Walker walkerjl at charter.net
Thu Apr 7 21:40:57 PDT 2011

Victory!

The key to a very easy success was using the heat gun.  The melting
temperature of the thermo-plastic that the fairing is made from is far
higher than the nylon backing on the graphics.  Not even the slightest warp
in the plastic resulted from direct heat application.

Very easy:  Just use the heat gun on the graphics until you can see them
just start to kind of bubble up a little bit, moving the heat all around.
Then with my fingers I just rolled up one of the edges of the graphics.  It
started to pull right off, stretching like... well like melted nylon as I
pulled it off of the fairing.  The decal just stretches right off... the
glue easily releasing and the colors on the nylon backing kind of flaking
off as the backing stretched.  There's no glue residue this way either, as
long as you keep the heat up.  I was going slow, and the nylon would cool in
places that I hadn't gotten to yet and the glue would start to stick more...
just apply a bit more heat, put the heat gun down and start peeling and
stretching it off again.

I'm serious, they came off like magic.  I haven't used any Goo Gone or any
other chemical on them either.  I think I'll take a polishing compound to
the fairing, because you can see the outline of the graphics from wax
buildup...

I haven't found any matching paint color yet.  Colorrite.com was a total
wash, they had a dark green color for the 1995-1996 GPz, not black.

So I may try to find a black paint in the auto parts store designed for
plastic bumpers...

Thanks!

Jeff in WA