Rotella T

Steven Bixby steven at bixbys.net
Thu Apr 14 10:13:55 PDT 2011

Here's one link that has an indication, but like all forum postings,
it's not exactly verified...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1782583
<http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1782583>

The post of interest is about 2/3 down the page, 11:29AM.

    "I just checked with my tech friend at Shell and here is what the
JASO specs mean.
      JASO DH2 is diesel oil for trucks and buses. JASO MA is for
motorcycles.
      So, according to the Shell TDS the only product to carry the
motorcycle rating is the T6 5W-40."

I also looked on Wikipedia, found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_oil#JASO

Relevant quote:

     "The JASO T904-MA and MA2 standards are designed to distinguish
oils that are approved for wet clutch use, and the           JASO
T904-MB standard is not suitable for wet clutch use."

I feel better about my choice, now; frankly, when it first replaced the
original "T", I looked around and people were a bit confused, but seeing
this puts me at some ease.

At any rate, it's been working fine in our 5 bikes with no clutch issues
noted, at least.