Steering Stem(?)

Alexander Finger af at genevainformation.ch
Fri Jul 8 10:31:33 PDT 2011

Hey List,

this morning I wanted to go to work with the bike (after four days in Bern I
had a Geneva day yesterday and wanted to benefit .. and take the bike..) but
did not. Here's why. When I'm taking off I sometimes test the brakes. Once
the back one to the point where the wheel blocks, then, less often, the
front brake until it blocks, too. Both to check the brakes and to make me
aware of how the bike reacts. The rear brake test went fine, but the front
brake test sucked: When the wheel hit the blocking point, the steering
slammed back and forth, just a little bit. I tried three times in a row just
to make sure it was not an illusion, stopped and tested while standing: When
I hit the front brake, I can move the whole column back and forth a few mm.

Here's how the stem looks:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/2Jah5kKERqQWUP3kNJQz5v24soFl7X9jawsnpqQGwuQ?feat=directlink

Based on my brief understanding there can't really be anything broken *that*
badly in the steering, so I assume that loosening the steering (T1 on p13-2
of the shop manual), tightening the stem and fixing it again should do the
trick?

cheers
Alex

--