Boots question

Drew Blanchard drewblanchard at gmavt.net
Thu Jun 30 05:20:44 PDT 2011

Never worn Icons.  I have an older pair of Gaerne touring boots (forget the
model name) which are waterproof.  *They're decent quality for the money,
but the (non replaceable) shift guard is showing a lot of wear.  They tend
toward the smaller end of the spectrum, too; I had to go a size smaller than
usual to find a good fit.  Got these on a closeout at Bikebandit.com.*

**They work as advertised, but, as usual, waterproof = really friggin' HOT
on a sunny day.  These things don't breathe very well.  Most boots offer
some sort of special liner which is *supposed* to breathe (the one in mine
is called "Drytech") but aren't nearly as comfortable as the Gore-Tex in my
hiking boots.   If anyone has a good recommendation for waterproof
*and comfortable
on a hot day, I'd love to hear it.  My current boots are great when it's
pouring or when it's chilly, but lately I've been doing a lot stop-and-go in
cities, and my feet broil in these boots. *

**Drew in VT